Ancoats Hospital started life as the Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary which opened in 1828 on Great Ancoats Street and moved to Mill Street in 1869. As a dispensary it contained no beds: people were treated as out-patients or visited at home. The move to new larger premises in Mill Street in 1873 allowed for the provision of beds and the transition from dispensary to hospital.
In contrast to the poor law infirmaries at Withington and Crumpsall, Ancoats was a voluntary hospital, funded by subscribers and benefactors who were acknowledged in each annual report (ref: M325/1/1/1-5). The influx of 'subscriptions from workpeople', together with a substantial gift and bequest from Miss Brackenbury allowed for the construction of the hospital building in 1872 to 1873.
A workpeoples fund committee developed and did a great deal of fundraising work for the hospital until 1948. In 1904 a convalescent home was opened at Great Warford near Alderley Edge, built using money donated by Mrs. Crossley on land given by the David Lewis Trust. It was closed in 1967 when urban conditions had improved, and two weeks' recovery time in the country was no longer a necessary part of hospital treatment (ref: M325/2/6,7).
We hold records for 1828 to 1967, including:
- records of committees: general committee, 1873 to 1914
- Ancoats Convalescent Home, 1904 to 1947
- operation register from 1924 (restricted access)
How to access
Resources are available in the search room, please make an appointment.
Location of the site