Bury's first workhouse, also known as the Redvales workhouse, was built in 1775 to the south of the town on Manchester Road. A new workhouse was opened at Jericho in 1857. It was renamed Jericho Institution in 1929. In 1948 it became Fairfield Hospital.
Bury Archives holds:
- Admission and discharge registers 1864 to 1907 (some gaps)
- Creed registers 1869 to 1934
- Burial registers 1858 to 1946
Records containing medical information of patients are closed for 100 years.