The Hospital was established in 1875 in St. John Street, Manchester. It transferred to new premises in Hardman Street in 1886. In 1885 an in-patients hospital was opened at Bowdon, Cheshire, and in 1904 the Crossley Sanatorium at Delamere, near Frodsham, Cheshire, was built, named after the Chairman of the Board, W. J. Crossley, a major contributor to its cost.
In 1948, much to the disappointment of the Board, the Crossley Sanatorium was transferred by the Minister of Health to the Liverpool District, despite the fact that it had been built for the benefit of Manchester people. From 1948 it was known as the Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital.
Clinical and patient records 1960 to 1988 are held by Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies.
How to access
Resources are available in the search room, please make an appointment.