Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away on Sunday.

Read our tribute.


Selective licensing - apply for a temporary exemption notice (TEN)

  1. Summary

    You may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN) if you’re taking steps to take the property out of licensing. For example, you’re selling the property to someone who will live in it as an owner occupier.

    To apply for a second notice, you will need to complete the form again. We will only consider extending the notice if you have exceptional circumstances.

    Read more about selective licensing

  2. Application, guidance notes or terms and condition

    Apply for temporary exemption

    A separate application must be made for each house that you want a temporary exemption notice for.

  3. Processing and timescales

    Your application will be refused if you don’t meet our requirements. If you don’t agree with our decisions, you can appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal within 28 days beginning on the date that the refusal was made.

  4. Legislation

    See schedule 4 of the Housing Act 2004

  5. Validity and renewals

    A TEN is valid for three months.

  6. Complaints

    Contact us in the first instance by email

  7. Email

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?