A licence is needed to operate a boarding establishment for cats and/or dogs.
The premises will be inspected by an authorised officer and a vet. The number of cats and dogs which can be accommodated will be specified on the licence.
The following criteria will be considered when processing the application:
- that the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times; (construction and size, number of animals, exercise facilities, cleanliness, temperature, lighting and ventilation);
- that suitable food, drink and bedding will be provided and the animals are exercised and visited regularly;
- that steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place;
- that adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies; and
- that a register is kept containing description of all animals, arrival and departure dates, name and address of owner.
The fee to apply for an animal boarding licence is £144.
Once your application has been assessed we will send you a payment link, so payment can be made on-line prior to the application being completed.
Please note that an additional fee will be payable for any veterinary inspection that may be required.
Application, guidance notes or terms and condition
The following attachments are required to be uploaded when applying, ensure you have all relevant details before you start this form as you can not save the form part way through:
Site plan and layout of the facilities (to scale);
Copy of public liability insurance; and
Waste disposal contract for excreta, bedding and other waste material, where applicable.
You should also ensure that you are also familiar with Manchester City Council’s conditions for animal boarding relevant to your application, which will apply, should a licence be granted, ensure you have read and understood these conditions.
Processing and timescales
Your application will be processed with 28 days.
An applicant must not be disqualified from:
a) keeping an animal boarding establishment;
b) keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951;
c) keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954; or
d) owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006.
Validity and renewals
The licence is valid for a maximum 12 months and is renewed 1 January each year.
To view the public register email: EnvH_CRMTechSupp@manchester.gov.uk
Contact us in the first instance.