We licence private hire vehicles under legislation which previously exempted certain categories of drivers and vehicles from the need to be licensed if they conducted their business by having hire contracts of not less than seven days.
The Act changed in January 2008. Now drivers, vehicles and operators of executive hire, chauffeur services, park and ride for private car parks, airport travel, stretch limousines and 'novelty' vehicles should be licensed with us as non standard private hire vehicles (PHV) or private hire limousine vehicles.
Non standard PHV are usually saloon or multi purpose vehicles (MPV) petrol, diesel or LPG fuelled and carry a maximum 8 passengers. The vehicle must be pre-booked with an operator and driven by a PH driver licensed by us.
Non standard PHV can apply for exemption from the standard PHV conditions, however they must display approved id stickers in the front and rear windows of the vehicle and are subject to full inspection at our Gorton test centre before a licence is issued.
If you have any enquiries before purchasing a vehicle and submitting your application relating to vehicle specification, colour, age or seating arrangements, please contact the test centre directly on 0161 856 2047, 2048, 2047, 2045 or 1860.
- Brand new vehicle - £220
- Used/pre-owned vehicle (less than 5 years old) - £281
- Used/pre-owned vehicle (more than 5 years old) - £342
Application, guidance notes or terms and condition
- a statutory declaration for each applicant (if a limited company a statutory declaration is needed for each director and company secretary);
- one recent colour passport photograph (no sunglasses or hat) with your full name and date of birth on the reverse;
- if a partnership or limited company full details of all key persons must be provided;
- a copy of planning permission for the base address; and
- business plan certificate.
Processing and timescales
We aim to process your application within 10 working days of receiving the application and all supporting documentation.
Applicants should be a fit and proper person as determined by the Licensing and Appeals Committee.
Validity and renewals
Contact Taxi Licensing in the first instance