SummaryA pet shop is defined as premises (including a private dwelling) carrying out a business of selling animals as pets, including selling animals over the internet and a licence is required.
Applicants must not be disqualified from operating a pet shop, keeping an animal boarding establishment, keeping a dog or having the custody of animals.
A pet shop licence is not needed if a person is keeping or selling pedigree animals bred or the off spring of an animal kept as a pet.
To change any details of the licence a new application should be submitted.
Application, guidance notes or terms and condition
Processing and timescales
A copy of the application is sent to RSPCA for comment and a public protection officer will inspect the premises.
The consultation period is 28 days and if no objections are received and the inspection is satisfactory a licence will be granted.
The following will be considered before granting a licence:
- that the animals be kept in suitable accommodation, (temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness);
- that adequate food and drink be provided for the animals and be visited at suitable intervals;
- that any animal will not be sold too young;
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals;
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place;
Any person who is refused a licence has the right of appeal.
Validity and renewals
The licence is valid for a maximum 12 months and is renewed 1 January each year.
To view the public register email: EnvH_CRMTechSupp@manchester.gov.uk
Please contact us in the first instance.