For the safety and protection of the public to drive a hackney carriage vehicle (black cab), private hire, non standard private hire or limousine vehicle in Manchester you must hold a valid driver licence issued by us.
Renewal of a driver application but your licence has already expired?
If you submit a new application within 14 days of the expiry date of your driver licence then we will fast track your application.
Important, please read: before you apply for a drivers licence, please have a look at 'application for a new drivers licence' this document, details the different stages a new application goes through before a new drivers licence is issued.
£264 includes DVLA on-line check however additional charges apply for:
- Basic Skills Assessment £42.00
- Coaching fee £41.00
- Knowledge test fee £74.00
- Enhanced Disclosure DBS (application/certificate) £82.00
If you are already a driver with us (either hackney carriage or private hire), then you may not need to pay for all the above additional charges, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Application, guidance notes or terms and condition
You MUST first submit a ‘new driver licence’ application, once we have the completed application, we will then invite you to an appointment with the taxi licensing unit. You WILL NOT be seen unless you have an appointment!
The appointments are processed in date order i.e. the date you submitted and we received your completed application – see what dates we are processing?
At the appointment an officer will review the application form and the required documents.
- application form – (completed);
- DVLA mandate for release of information (DVLA check);
- statutory declaration form – (completed);
- current DVLA driving licence photo card;
- disclosure & barring service (DBS) application form, this is sent out with your appointment letter;
- 1 recent colour passport photograph (no sunglasses or hats allowed);
- 1 recent utility bill which states the applicants name and address, (for example, gas, electricity, bank or credit card statement), which must not be more than 3 months old;
Please note: – mobile phone statements are not acceptable.
- national insurance number showing applicants name issued by a government agency or a previous employer i.e. P45, P60;
- group II medical certificate - we recommend that you do not obtain your medical certificate until after you have passed your knowledge test. Medical form – to be completed by your own doctor or GP. Applicants need to make themselves aware of the Group II medical standards before submitting an application.
Please note: medical certificates are only valid for a 12 month period; and
- Immigration - From 1 December 2016 we must comply with the Immigration Act 2016. The Act places a duty on the council to only issue licences to individuals who can demonstrate that they have the ‘Right to work in the UK within the taxi trade’. Document(s) from either List A or List B, which provides evidence that you have the right to work in the UK within the taxi licensing trade.
Processing and timescales
Please note: If your application is delayed due to convictions or if you fail the knowledge test the process will take longer.
If you application is refused you will be notified in writing.
Validity and renewals
DBS - as the licence is now valid for 3 years, you will be required to sign into the DBS update service, to enable an annual on-line check to be carried out by us. All details about the update service can be found on the DBS website https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Please email email@example.com in the first instance
Anyone who is asked to attend in front of a hearing is provided with documentation, which outlines both the hearing process and appeal.
Decision letters from the hearing also provide details of appeal.
Any person can appeal any decision made by us to the Magistrates Court.