A private hire vehicle (PHV) is either a saloon or multi purpose vehicle (MPV) using petrol, diesel or LPG fuel.
They can carry a maximum 8 passengers and must be pre-booked with an operator and driven by a private hire driver licensed by us.
A PHV must be either white or silver in colour, less than 7 years old, display front and rear id plates and carry approved operator livery and is subject to inspection at our Gorton test centre before a licence is issued.
If you have any enquiries relating to vehicle specification, colour, age or seating arrangements, please contact the test centre directly on 0161 856 2047,2048,2047,2045 or 1860.
- Brand new vehicle - £220
- Used/pre-owned vehicle (less than 5 years old) - £281
- Used/pre-owned vehicle (more than 5 years old) - £342
Application, guidance notes or terms and condition
- A photocopy of the log book V5C (vehicle registration document) should be provided with your application. The log book must show your FULL name and current address;
- If the vehicle is BRAND NEW from a showroom, the log book V5C or invoice from the manufacturer/dealership must be provided AND a letter from the manufacturer/dealership stating the vehicle is brand new with delivery mileage only. Maximum delivery mileage permitted is 200 miles;
- Preferred date and time for vehicle test appointment; and
- Original valid insurance certificate and completed sticker request form should be taken to the test (not submitted with application).
Processing and timescales
All vehicles must:
be less that 7 years old at date of application;
be white or silver in colour;
be a 4 door saloon or estate with right hand drive;
have no more than 8 passenger seats;
be road taxed with DVLA;
have valid insurance to carry fare paying passengers;
fitted with an approved taxi meter;
display front and rear id plates;
carry approved operator stickers.
Validity and renewals
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance