Manchester Road, Chorlton, M21 9PN
0161 227 3700
About this library
This cornerstone of Chorlton life is a gem that was funded by Scottish-American benefactor Andrew Carnegie in 1914. It’s a listed building, protected forever from demolition and bad redevelopment.
Carnegie asked for the original plans of the library to be shipped to him in New York for approval. So the Council popped them onto the Titanic. You know the sad ending to that story already.
This second busiest library in the city has had a refurb! There are a range of new books, comfy sofas and a dedicated space for tots.
Opening times for library
Computer access within the library will shut down 15 minutes before the library closes.
- Monday: 9am-5pm
- Tuesday: 9am-8pm
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday: 9am-8pm
- Friday: 9am-5pm
- Saturday: 9am-1pm 2-5pm
Bank holidays we are closed.
Christmas opening times
- Monday 19 December: 9am - 5pm
- Tuesday 20 December: 9am - 8pm
- Wednesday 21 December: Closed
- Thursday 22 December: 9am - 8pm
- Friday 23 December: 9am - 5pm
- Saturday 24 December: 9am - 1pm
- Monday 26 December: Closed
- Tuesday 27 December: Closed
- Wednesday 28 December: Closed
- Thursday 29 December: 9am - 8pm
- Friday 30 December: 9am - 5pm
- Saturday 31 December: 9am - 1pm
Tiny tots and toddler time Friday 10.30-11am. Term time only;
Jeff Smith MP Manchester Withington holds regular advice surgeries for local residents on third Friday in every month 3.30-4.30pm you can book an appointment or just turn up. Contact details email: email@example.com or call 445 0678;
Grand Day Out with IT support every Friday 2-4pm - scrabble, ICT, trips out etc; and
Sure Start every Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursday - stay and play, baby bliss, baby massage, midwifery breast feeding advice. Call for further information 860 6039.
- Books for loan including other languages: Arabic, Farsi/Persian, Polish, Urdu
- CDs & CD ROMs for loan
- Free wifi in Manchester including libraries
- Computer facilities, internet & free computers
- DVDs for loan
- Exhibition space
- Health information point
- Language courses for loan
- Local studies collection
- Meeting room to hire
- Newspapers and magazines
- Printing and photocopying
- Surestart - programme of activities for under 5's and their families
- Talking books for loan
There may be a charge for some services see fines and charges
Join, search and reserve
More about Libraries