Manchester City Council

Environmental problems Flooding and drainage

Drainage – private property

View the United Utilities blocked drain guidance

If your neighbours are also affected then the problem is likely to be with the sewer and responsibility lies with United Utilities. Use the United Utilities sewers and drains explained, to find out whether a sewer or drain is public or private. We have certain powers to force owners to deal with drainage issues on privately owned land..

If you are a tenant you should contact your landlord or Housing Association who is responsible for fixing the problem, contact them first to inform them and agree when the work can be carried out, give them the opportunity to resolve the problem before contacting us.
If you are having problems dealing with your landlord Housing Association over this issue, then follow these steps.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?