Am I eligible for social care support?
To be assessed as eligible for support, you need to show that:
1. Your needs arise from (or are related to) a physical or mental impairment or illness, and
2. The issues you face have a significant impact on your wellbeing, and
3. You are unable to achieve two or more of the following activities:
- Eating and drinking
- Maintaining personal hygiene
- Managing toilet needs
- Being appropriately clothed
- Being able to make use of your home safely
- Maintaining a habitable home environment
- Developing or maintaining family or other personal relationships
- Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
- Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
- Carrying out caring responsibilities the adult has for a child
These national criteria are standard across the country, making the system fairer. It also means that it is easier to move between local authority areas, if you need to.