The Council works with many agencies to protect vulnerable people. The list below pulls together information from across the website and gives emergency contact numbers and signposts to more information.
If there is an imminent threat to life or a crime is being committed, you should dial 999 and ask for the police.
If you want to report suspected abuse or neglect, contact us:
Telephone: 0161 234 5001
Children's Services are responsible for the welfare of children in Manchester. Working in teams which bring together professionals from a wide range of disciplines, they can be contacted through the Adults and Children's Social Care Contact Service.
Manchester City Council works in partnership with other agencies, overseen by the Manchester Safeguarding Adults Board to protect vulnerable adults in Manchester.
We have produced a number of leaflets which will explain more about adult abuse and how to keep yourself and those around you safe:
- Is someone you know being abused
- Is someone you know being abused - large print
- Is someone you know being abused - flyer
- Easy Read Adult Abuse leaflet
- Safeguarding Training leaflet
We provide Multi-Agency policy and protocol information for Safeguarding Adults:
- Manchester City Council Safeguarding Adults Policy
- Manchester Mental health and Social Care Trust Safeguarding Adults at Risk Policy
- Manchester Safeguarding Standard
See more information about the performance of the Safeguarding Adults team and copies of Serious Case Reviews here.
Procedures and Guidance
We provide procedural documents and guidance to ensure that the best interests of vulnerable adults are met:
- Manchester City Council Safeguarding Adults Guidance for Practitioners
- Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust Safeguarding Adults at Risk Procedure and Guidance
- Serious Case Reviews
- Information Sharing
- Financial Guidance
- Deprivation of Liberty - Mental Capacity Act
- Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriages
We have a dedicated Domestic Abuse co-ordinator who oversees the council's response and services. You can find a whole raft of information including all the relevant contact numbers on our domestic abuse pages. Alternatively, try the EndTheFear.co.uk website.
Supporting a vulnerable adult in the Criminal Justice System
The following documents relate to Special Measures, and acting as an Appropriate Adult: