Choice and control for disabled people
The Right to Control gives disabled people aged 18 years and over more choice and control over their support. If you live in Manchester and receive one of the types of support listed below you will be able to choose and control how money is spent to support you to achieve what you want in life - this is sometimes called your outcomes.
- Access to Work
- Adult Social Care
- Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)
- Independent living fund (ILF)
- Supporting People
- Work Choice.
Where you may be eligible for support from more than one agency, with your permission we will share your personal information with them so you don't need to keep telling people the same things.
So what do I have the right to do?
If you start to get any of the six support services, you have the Right to Control, which means you can decide to buy your own support using money given to you. You can also decide to:
- Keep getting the same support services as you do now, if you are happy with the services you get;
- You can ask the support service to arrange your support in a different way. This could be the local council or Jobcentre Plus that supports disabled people with the things they need;
- Have a mix of these.
Will I have a support plan?
Whoever you work with will be able to tell you where you can get help and advice to choose the support you want. Someone can work with you to create your support plan if you would like. Your support plan must include the following information:
- The aims and outcomes you have agreed
- The amount of money you have to spend
- Information about the services and support you have chosen
- Information about who will buy these services for you
- Details of any cash payments you have chosen to receive
- Information about other support
- How often it will be reviewed.
Where can I get more information?
You can find out more about the Right to Control in our downloadable leaflets and factsheets.
For general information about the Right to Control including:
Adult Social Care, Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) and Supporting People
Get in touch with our Contact Service:
Phone: 0161 234 5001 (SMS Text: 07860 003 160)
For information about:
Access to Work contact Jobcentre Plus:
Phone: 0141 950 5327 (Textphone: 0845 602 5850)
Work Choice contact Jobcentre Plus:
Phone: 0845 604 3719 (Textphone: 0845 608 8551) https://www.gov.uk/work-choice
Independent Living Fund (ILF)
Phone: 0845 601 8815 (Textphone: 0845 601 8816)
Or alternatively for more information about the Right to Control, advice and support you can contact: