How to pay a bill (invoice) if we send you one
If we can't take the money back from your weekly benefit we send you a bill (an invoice).
You can pay by any of these methods:
- Take the invoice we sent you to a Post Office or a PayPoint or PayZone outlet where you can scan the barcode on it and pay the bill.
- Phone. Ring us on 0161 953 8451 between 8.45 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, to discuss paying in instalments or to pay with your debit or credit card. Please have your invoice ready. You can also ask us for a standing order form if you wish to pay by standing order.
- Automated phone service. It's open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make payments. Ring 0161 234 5006.
- Online payment service. Pick 'Repay Housing Benefit overpayment'. You'll need your debit or credit card and your Benefits number, which is on the invoice.
- By BACS payment to Barclays Bank, 51 Mosley Street, Manchester M60 2AU. Please give the following details:
bank sort code: 20-55-41
account number: 53348075
bank account name: Manchester City Council - Receipts
Please also include your invoice number.
If you don't contact us or don't keep to the arrangement you agreed to we will take further action:
- We can ask your employer to deduct money from your pay each payday until your overpayment is cleared.
- We can use a collection agency to call at your home to recover the money.
- We can register your debt with the county court which will affect your credit rating.
- If you owe us a large amount of money we may take steps to make you bankrupt.