Manchester City Council

Benefits & Support Why we sometimes give you too much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

How to pay a bill (invoice) if we send you one

If we can't take the money back from your weekly benefit we send you a bill (an invoice).

You can pay by any of these methods:

  • Take the invoice we sent you to a Post Office or a PayPoint or PayZone outlet where you can scan the barcode on it and pay the bill.
  • Phone. Ring us on 0161 953 8451 between 8.45 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, to discuss paying in instalments or to pay with your debit or credit card. Please have your invoice ready. You can also ask us for a standing order form if you wish to pay by standing order.
  • Automated phone service. It's open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make payments. Ring 0161 234 5006.
  • Online payment service. Pick 'Repay Housing Benefit overpayment'. You'll need your debit or credit card and your Benefits number, which is on the invoice.
  • By BACS payment to the Co-op Bank, Balloon Street, Manchester. Please give the following details:
    bank sort code: 08 90 00
    account number: 61176698
    bank account name: MCC Receipts Account
    Please also include your invoice number.

If you don't contact us or don't keep to the arrangement you agreed to we will take further action:

  • We can ask your employer to deduct money from your pay each payday until your overpayment is cleared.
  • We can use a collection agency to call at your home to recover the money. 
  • We can register your debt with  the county court which will affect your credit rating.
  • If you owe us a large amount of money we may take steps to make you bankrupt.






Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?