Manchester City Council

Benefits & support Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rules

LHA is Housing Benefit paid to most tenants of private landlords when you:

  •  make a new claim for Housing Benefit; or
  •  claim after a gap in benefit because of a change in circumstances; or
  •  move to a privately rented home from another type of home such as a housing association property.

The amount of benefit you get depends on:

  • who lives with you
  •  where your home is
  •  how much money you have coming in
  •  your savings
  • how much rent you pay
  • your age

LHA rules do not apply to you if:

  • you have been claiming without a break, for the same address, since before April 2008
  • you are a private tenant whose tenancy began before January 1989
  • you are a tenant of a housing association, Manchester Housing or Northwards Housing
  • you are a tenant of a charity or voluntary organisation with a package of care and support from your landlord or somebody else on your landlord’s behalf
  • you live in a caravan, houseboat, mobile home or hostel
  • you live in board-and-lodging accommodation.

If LHA rules apply to you, you can find the LHA rate for your home. You need to know:

To claim Local Housing Allowance or find out what you are entitled to use our online form.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?