Manchester City Council

Telephone problems

There are issues with some mobile phone networks reaching our contact centre, we are working with the networks to fix this. There are no issues with land lines or the website.


Benefits & Support Local Housing Allowance

Who can get Local Housing Allowance?

LHA is for some tenants of private landlords as follows:

  • Those who make a brand new claim for Housing Benefit
  • Those who claim Housing Benefit after a gap in their benefit, even a short gap
  • Those who already get Housing Benefit for a home in Manchester and move to a privately rented home in Manchester

The following groups of tenants can't get LHA and their Housing Benefit will still be worked out using pre-April 2008 rules:

  • Tenants of private landlords who don't meet the rules described above
  • Private tenants whose tenancy began before January 1989
  • Housing association tenants
  • Manchester Housing and Northwards Housing tenants
  • Tenants of charities or voluntary organisations, who get a package of care and support from their landlord (or from somebody else on behalf of their landlord)
  • Tenants who live in caravans, houseboats, mobile homes and hostels
  • Tenants in board-and-lodging accommodation

Note: If you are currently looking for privately-rented accommodation and are considering moving into either board and lodgings, a caravan, a houseboat, a mobile home or a hostel you could get an idea of how much help you would get with your rent before you sign up for the tenancy. Download this pre-tenancy determination form or ring 0161 455 1010 and we will send you a form. You could pick up a form from our Customer Service Centre at Ground Floor (Mount Street Entrance), Town Hall Extension, Albert Square if you prefer. Return the fully filled-in form to us and we will send it to the Valuation Office Agency.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?