Manchester City Council

Benefits & Support Discretionary Payments (DHP and DCTP)

What are Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Payments?

They are for people who live in Manchester.
They are paid by Manchester Council.

If you live in another area please apply to your local council.

They can help if you are:

  • struggling to pay your rent or council tax and
  • you have unusual or extreme circumstances which are causing hardship or
  • you are having particular difficulty because of the effects of the under-occupation rules for council and housing association tenants or the benefit cap rules.

There are no rules that give anyone a right to a payment. But we may be able to pay you if we believe that you need extra financial support.  

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?