We will use the criteria below to make decisions in social sector housing (council, housing association, housing trusts) and private sector housing cases.
We will take into account:
- the nature and severity of the child's medical condition and disability
- why this prevents them from sharing a bedroom
- the type of care needed during the night and how often it is needed
- how much and how often the sleep of the child they share with will be disturbed
The evidence we need:
- Proof that the child gets the middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance; or
- A letter from a health care professional who is involved with the child's care
Where the child's condition is not permanent we will review our decision periodically.