Manchester City Council

Manchester arena attack

People who wish to gather at 10.31pm one week on from the terrorist atrocity will come together at St Ann's Square.

×

Benefits & support The results of the Council Tax Support scheme 2014 Consultation

In April 2013 the Council introduced the Council Tax Support scheme to help people on low incomes pay Council Tax.

Reduced Government funding meant that the Council could no longer afford to pay out as much money as it had previously done with Council Tax Benefit. From April 2013 everyone of working age had to pay at least 8.5% of their Council Tax and would only be eligible for help with the remaining 91.5%.

In 2014/15 the Council will get even less funding from the Government and so proposed some changes to the Council Tax Support scheme.

The consultation process

The Council invited the public to have their say on the proposals over an eight week period from 20 August 2013 to 18 October 2013.

The Council asked the public to consider two proposals:

  • To reduce the amount of support that working-age people can get to help with Council Tax. All working-age people would have to pay at least 15% of their Council Tax bill in 2014.
  • To abolish Second Adult Rebate for working-age claimants.

The results of the consultation

Over 1500 people responded.

The majority of respondents (70%) approved the proposal to reduce the amount of support for working-age people.

Many people responded with suggestions for how the Council could find extra money to keep the existing level of support.

The majority of respondents (66%) were in favour of the Council’s proposal to abolish Second Adult Rebate for working-age claimants.

For more details about the proposals, feedback and comments from the respondents and a breakdown of the characteristics of the respondents, read the full Consultation report.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

;