Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away last night.

Read our tribute.


Benefits & support Universal Credit

Where you can get help to claim

Universal Credit can only be claimed online. There’s free access to the web in libraries and job centres across the city. Staff in job centres will be able to help you make your claim.

Places with free internet and help to claim.

To make a claim, you’ll need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your address
  • details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • your tenancy agreement (if you have one) and rent that you pay
  • your landlord's address and phone number
  • details of your savings
  • details of any income that’s not from work
  • details of any other benefits you’re getting
  • your childcare costs
  • your child benefit reference numbers for your children 

You may also need these details for your partner and other people who live in your home.

Help with budgeting

Universal Credit is paid monthly and you’ll be responsible for paying your rent. You may have not been paid this way before, so it’s important that you manage your money to last the whole month and to cover your rent.

Some people may need support with managing a monthly payment. Your work coach can refer you to Shelter who can provide personal budgeting support. Or call Shelter on 0344 515 1681 (local rate from landlines, may cost more from mobiles) to arrange a personal budgeting support session.

You can find out more about Universal Credit at or download a copy of the Universal Credit help and support booklet.

Claim help with Council Tax and school meals

Find out more about work, jobs training and advice

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?