Book a birth registration appointment online
Before booking your appointment, please make sure that you have read the information on who can register a birth (on the "Registering your baby" page)
You need to register the birth within 6 weeks (42 days)
It will only be possible for you to book an appointment on-line if:
- you want to register the birth at the Manchester Register Office in the city centre
- your baby was born in one of the Manchester hospitals (Please note that this does not include the new Saint Mary's Birth Centre in Salford)
- the appointment you want to make will be within six weeks of the date that the baby was born.
If you do not meet any of the above criteria, you will have to telephone the Register Office to make an appointment. (Tel: 0161 234 5005)
What you need to bring with you to your appointment.
The only document that you need to bring with you is the "Red Book" (Personal Child Health Record). A record of the birth is sent to us by the hospital.
In addition, in order to improve the quality of the information recorded in the registration we ask that you bring one of the following documents, for both parents, to the appointment - Passport/Utility Bill/Driving Licence/Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate. However, you can still make an appointment and register a birth if these documents are unavailable.
You are welcome to bring your baby with you, but it is not a requirement.
Same sex couples - you do not need to bring your parenthood agreement to your appointment.
What documents we will give to you at your appointment.
- We will give you a short birth certificate which shows the child's full name and date of birth.
- You may buy additional short and standard certificates from the registrar at the time of registration at a cost of £4.00. (A standard certificate shows all the details recorded in the register).
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any problems booking your appointment. We would be grateful for any feedback about how well this booking system worked for you. If you have time, after you have gone through the appointment booking process, please fill in the 'Was this information helpful' section at the bottom of this page, or send us an e-mail at:
Please note that you do not need to 'logon' to use the system.