Manchester City Council

Social care & support Become a Shared Lives Placement Provider

Who can be an Shared Lives placement provider?

Anybody can become a placement provider. No formal qualifications or previous care experience is needed.

The service is looking for individuals who come from a wide variety of backgrounds and have different skills and experiences. Placement Providers need to be flexible, sensitive, tolerant, and patient and above all have a genuine interest in caring for vulnerable people.

We welcome applications from all the diverse communities and cultures of Manchester so that we can provide a wider choice to people who use the service. In terms of long-term care we normally only accept carers who live in the City of Manchester.

Contact us to find out more and see if you might be interested:

Shared Lives Service  
Manchester City Council 
Hall Lane Resource Centre,
Hall Lane,
M23 1WD

Tel: 0161 219 2327Fax: 0161 276 7494


The placement provider may care for a person in their own home, in the community or in the home of the service user depending on which part of the service they work in. If you have any doubts as to your suitability, we are always willing to have an informal discussion to chat about it.

The sort of care you can offer depends on many variables. Obviously, you may have particular commitments and responsibilities which will limit the time you have available. In addition, the physical layout of your home may affect the service you can offer, as we do insist that the service user has their own room, if you are offering short or long term care.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?