Medlock Street Cycleway
We recently carried out some improvement works on an existing crossing on the slip road from Mancunian Way on to Medlock Street in the city centre. These improvements allow both pedestrians and cyclists to cross here safely.
We are now proposing to link this crossing with an existing cycle lane on Medlock Street that currently begins just past the junction of Medlock Street and River Street.
Medlock Street and River Street
We intend to link the two existing features with various types of cycle facilities.
- the section of footpath between the toucan crossing on Mancunian Way and the entrance/exit in to the subway on Medlock Street will be shared use for both cyclists and pedestrians
- there will be some shared use road signs installed along this section of footway to inform both pedestrians and cyclists
- just after the entrance/exit to the subway on Medlock Street the footway will become segregated for pedestrians and cyclists travelling in a southbound direction
- the segregated southbound cycle lane on the footway will begin from the junction of Medlock Street and River Street provide a link for southbound cyclists to use the toucan crossing on Mancunian Way
- cyclists travelling in a northbound direction will be directed on the carriageway and a 2m wide dedicated cycle lane will be provided. This cycle lane will be protected by a build-out from the pavement, which will deflect vehicular traffic away from cyclists
- the northbound on-road cycle lane will then continue up Medlock Street and link with the existing cycle lane just north of the junction of Medlock Street and River Street
This consultation has closed.