Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away on 18 February.

Read our tribute.


Council tax Council tax information for private landlords

If you are a landlord renting out a property, the responsibility for paying council tax depends on what sort of letting arrangement you have.

When is the tenant responsible?

The tenant(s) is or are responsible for the council tax when you rent the whole of the property to one person or family, or to joint tenants. We send the bill to your tenant(s). 

When is the landlord responsible?

If you rent out the property to several people, and they each have an individual tenancy agreement to occupy only part of the building - called a 'house in multiple occupation' (HMO) - you are responsible for paying the council tax. We send the bill to you. 

Tell us about a tenancy change

Tel us about tenancy changes so we can send accurate council tax bills quickly.

See how much Council Tax we charge for empty properties (including second homes) since the rules changed in April 2013.

 Help us improve our service  - a checklist with more information about reporting changes and options for contacting us.




Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?