Manchester City Council

Council Tax How we work out your Council tax when you move out of Manchester

If you are moving out of Manchester you must tell us as soon as possible. You must tell your new council that you are moving in.

If you are leaving the UK altogether email us at

How we work out your Council Tax
If you move out of Manchester you will be charged by Manchester up to the date of the move from your old home. You new council will charge you from the day that you move into their area.

If you moved out of Manchester on 16 May 2013:

  • Manchester will charge you for the 45 days between 1 April 2013 and 15 May 2013.
  • Your new council will charge you for 320 days from 16 May 2013 to 31 March 2014.

To work out the charge at your address in Manchester using this example
We will charge you for 45 days from 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2013:
£1032.11 (band B annual charge) รท 365 (days for this year) x 45 (days at the property) = £127.23

Tell your new council you have moved so they can bill you for your new address.

Tell us about your change of address

Check Council Tax charge for your home

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?