Whatever type of bike you have, keep it secure. Here is a checklist of things you can do:
- Always lock your bike if leaving it unattended
- Choose a place to lock your bike where there are lots of people and a high level of natural surveillance
- Invest in a good quality lock. D-shaped are usually the best
- Register your bike through an approved scheme
- Add your bike to your home contents insurance
- Lock both the wheel and frame to make your bike more secure
- Make sure that any quick release and detachable items such as wheels, saddles and lights are either secured or removed and taken with you
- If your bike is stolen report it immediately! Call or visit your local Police Station or call 0161 872 5050
- If you suspect someone in your area is trading stolen bikes call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or contact your local Trading Standards Office
Bike security at home
Over half of all bicycle thefts take place on the owner's property, from garages, sheds and gardens. Make sure the place you keep your bike is secure and consider installing a steel loop or fixed anchor point to a wall for locking your bike. If this isn't possible, keep your bike out of sight (even if it's inside the house or flat) so it can't be seen by opportunist thieves.
It is a good idea to insure your bike. An easy way to do this is to extend your home contents insurance to cover your bicycle. However, make sure it covers you for thefts outside the home (e.g if the bike is stolen from outside a shop). If your bicycle is particularly valuable, you may need to insure it separately and the insurer may require you to use certain specified levels of security.
Security Marking and Registration
Each year in Manchester alone hundreds of bikes are recovered by or handed in to the police. Unfortunately, many of the owners cannot be tracked down.
By registering your bike with one of the many registrations schemes available there is a good chance that should it go missing, you will get it back.
http://www.immobilise.com/ is a free national registration database for cycles and other personal property.
http://www.bikeregister.com/ call: 01689 862708 offers a variety of affordable registration schemes which also include tamper proof stickers a cycle marking pack and a transferable ownership log book.
Get On Your Bike
For information, advice, maps, guides, news, local events and an online journey planner visit the Transport for Greater Manchester cycling pages