Manchester City Council

Crime, antisocial behaviour & nuisance Off-road bikes

Advice on off-road bikes in Manchester

Are you thinking of buying a quad bike, mini motorbike or go-ped for your child to ride off-road in Manchester? 

DON'T - there is nowhere legal to ride them.

  • If one of these bikes is ridden off-road, your child will be breaking the law and there is a risk of a hefty fine, an ASBO or a breach of tenancy.
  • It is illegal to ride off road vehicles such as quads, scramblers, mini-motos and go-peds on any public spaces in Manchester. This includes parks, pavements, waste grounds or parkways.
  • To ride a bike on the road it must be especially built for road use. The rider would have to be over 16 and will need registration documents, MOT, road tax, insurance, a license and an approved crash helmet just like a real motorbike.
  • Riders risk serious injury, even death, to themselves and pedestrians.

Is there anywhere legal to ride them?

There are no places to legally ride off-road vehicles in the City of Manchester.

However, there are organisations that you can join across the north west that provide information on specially staged events and practice grounds where off-road bikes and quad bikes can be ridden legally.

Ride Off Road UK, Go Ballistic and the Amateur Motorcycle Association are some places to start looking.

Reporting off-road bikers
The Council and the Police have received many complaints relating to off-road bike nuisance and we are determined to tackle this problem in order to improve the quality of life and safety of local people.

If you see any off road bikers in your area you can report them to:

  • The Police non-emergency number, call 101. Not only is this much easier to remember but it is also charged at 15 pence, no matter how long the call lasts.
  • Crimestoppers, anonymously by calling 0800 555 111.

Keep a record of:

  • The riders clothing
  • The type of off-road bike. Is it a quad bike, scrambler, mini-moto, a go-ped or something else?
  • The location of the off-road biking
  • The name and address of the rider, if you know it.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?