Manchester City Council

The Council & democracy Your social care records

Information we hold about our customers

You have a right to see personal information about your social care record held by Manchester City Council and we have a responsibility to keep it confidential.

What information do we keep about you?

If you receive or have received social care and support from Manchester City Council your social care record will contain:

  • Basic details about you such as your name, address and date of birth
  • The names and contact details of your close relatives and carers
  • Information about your health, your ability to carry out day-to-day tasks, and your home situation
  • Letters, notes and reports about the support we provide for you and about the help you need
  • Plans for providing support, and details of support you receive
  • Things that other organisations (such as health or other care services) tell us about your situation to help us to better understand your needs. 

How you can see your records

If you want to see the information we hold about you, you can Request information the Council holds about you.

How we use and store your information

We record your information in an electronic database called MiCARE, and we may also hold some paper-based information about you.

Your records are protected by the Data Protection Act 1998. Records are confidential and we have a duty to keep them safe. Wherever we are working with other people to plan and provide your care, we will need to share information with them to help us do this.

This might include your doctors, other health service staff and independent care providers. You will be asked to agree that we can do this when your assessment starts. We will only share the information that is needed for this purpose.

Can anyone else see my records?

In most situations, other people must have your permission before we can give them information about you. This includes:

  • Your family
  • The Department of Works and Pensions, the Child Support Agency or Inland Revenue
  • Council Tax Officers
  • The Police, unless it relates to a very serious crime

But there are some circumstances when we are obliged to share information without your permission, for example

  • To protect you or another person
  • For the administration of justice
  • To meet other legal obligations.

These are very rare cases, and we will only pass on the minimum information, that is legally required.

Your rights to see your records

You have the right to see any of the information we hold about you except:

  • Information that identifies people other than you, unless they give their consent
  • Information that could lead to the risk of serious harm to you or someone else
  • Information about some legal matters such as confidential advice or serious crime.

These are all unusual cases. Normally, we will let you see what we have on your file about you. You do not have the right to see anything about other members of your family that may be kept on your file.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?