Blackley Cemetery and Crematorium
Blackley Cemetery opened in 1953 on a site which was originally a farm, and later used as a golf course. The Cemetery sits among gently rolling hills, providing a beautiful and tranquil setting in which to reflect and remember loved ones.
It attracts many people who visit simply to enjoy the landscape and peaceful environment, which seems a world away from the hustle and bustle of nearby city life. With outstanding views across the Pennines, and attracting numerous wildlife including deer, rabbits and many bird species, the Cemetery hopes to achieve Nature Reserve status.
The Woodland Burials area provides an environmentally friendly and cost effective alternative to traditional burials.
Throughout the cemetery there are many memorials, including benches, kerb or wall plaques, and columbaria which not only commemorate loved ones, but also enhance the surroundings. There are others too, such as a memorial tower in the Garden of Remembrance and the Books of Memory held in the Memorial Chapel. We also have our own municipal monumental stonemason.
Blackley Crematorium is the only crematorium owned and operated by Manchester City Council. Six years after the cemetery opened in 1959, the state of the art crematorium opened, with a beautiful memorial garden surrounded by a stunning herbaceous border. A tree-lined avenue leads to the Crematorium in which the newly refurbished Centre Chapel has a magnificent stained glass window and can accommodate 300 people. There are two smaller side chapels, which can each seat up to 60 people. All our chapels offer a peaceful, intimate setting for a full service or committal, or even a service for burial before going to graveside.
Music can be an important part of a service, and can provide a fitting background; a library of music is available, however, families may prefer to provide their own. Each chapel has a sound system and a loop induction system.
The Crematorium is easily accessible from any of our three Cemetery entrances.
The Cemetery Office is opposite to the Crematorium, and contains public toilets. You can park on the main drive and in the designated area next to the Crematorium.
If you would like any further information concerning the facilities available at Blackley Cemetery and Crematorium, please contact us at:
Telephone: 0161 227 3201