City Centre Emergency Response and Evacuation
A major disaster can affect the city centre at any time, it is therefore essential that we all plan ahead and minimise the risks to the people and businesses that make up the heart of the city.
The City Centre Emergency Response and Evacuation arrangements consist of the Manchester City Centre Zoning Map and the Manchester Priority Alert Scheme as well as robust multi-agency emergency response plans.
How will I know that an evacuation is required?
If the City Centre needs to be evacuated, the following methods of communication will be utilised:
- Messages will be broadcast on the Manchester Priority Alert Scheme to those that have joined the scheme
- Storenet and Nitenet radio systems in use in stores, pubs and clubs will also be used to give information to the proprietors
- Requests to evacuate may be broadcast using other public address systems in the city centre along with those located in shopping centres, bus, rail, and tram stations
- Police Officers, along with other emergency responders, will co-ordinate the evacuation of the required zones
Where appropriate, Police Officers should be assisted by building management and security staff to ensure the safety of the public.
What should I do if an evacuation of my zone is required?
- Implement your appropriate building evacuation plan immediately
- Inform others who do not appear to be responding to the evacuation request
- Use security staff or nominated company representatives to escort everyone away from danger in a safe manner
- Always follow Police advice