Services available for the visually impaired
Our libraries offer a core service for those with a visual impairment, namely:
- Advice on stock which is available in an accessible format, i.e. Spoken Word, Large Print or e-book
- Information on specialist libraries such as CALIBRE and the RNIB Libraries
- Computers with Supernova software (to magnify text or convert it to speech), giving access to standard Microsoft packages and the internet
- Extended time allowance using computers.
- Magnify your book, letter, newspaper etc by magnifying the image onto a screen using the ClearView reader. The image can be adjusted to suit the reader either in magnification, colour combination or both of these
- Kurzweil 1000 reading software and ClearReader enable you to 'read' printed material using a scanning system either on a stand-alone machine or on the computer and speech reader
- Find information relating to various aspects of visual impairment, including local and national organisations
- If you aren't familiar with the technology, we provide assistance to enable you to get started
- Daily newspapers and information resources available online
- Perkins Braillers available for use in the Unit
- Reading aids
- Large screen monitors and adapted keyboards.