We are committed to improving our services for you. To do this, we need to collect and use information about individuals we provide services for, and others we have contact with.
The information you give us will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, will be treated as confidential. We will only share the information where it is necessary and the law allows it.
We will also use the information to prepare statistics and for research.
Our pledge to you:
- we will process your personal data (information) according to the Data Protection Act 1998 and other relevant legislation
- we will not share your personal data with third parties for commercial purposes - for example, we will not sell your data
- we will not use your personal data for marketing products or services without your consent
- we will not keep your personal data for longer than necessary
- we will keep your personal data secure
- we will respect your right to find out what information we have about you
- we will only share your personal data if it is necessary and the law allows this:
- to check accuracy, which means that we may check your information with other sources within the Council or with other councils and Government departments
- for crime prevention or detection of fraud, including the use of data-matching initiatives designed to protect public funds.
The law says we must protect the public funds that we administer. It says that we must share information (including library data) with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, to prevent and detect fraud - this is the National Fraud Initiative. Find out more about this on the Audit Commission's website.
What we ask of you:
- please give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible about any changes to your personal information
- tell us if you notice mistakes or inaccuracies in the information we have about you
This helps us keep our information reliable and up-to-date.
To obtain details of the information we have about you, contact the Council's Democratic Services Team .
For more information about data protection, visit the Information Commissioner's website.