General site information
New Smithfield Market has 24 hour access, 365 days a year, allowing for deliveries around the clock. We are generally open to the public and trade Monday to Saturday from 2am to 12.30pm. For details of the Sunday Market opening times please see our Sunday market & car boot.
General market rules
- No smoking on site
- Children (under the age of 16) only allowed on site on Sundays where supervised by an adult
- No dogs allowed (Monday to Sunday inclusive)
- No personal or business waste must be brought to site - fly tippers will be issued with an infringement notice, which carries a £50 administration charge
- Vehicle access is restricted and, before allowing entry, we make routine vehicle checks
- You must obey all instructions given by site management and security
- Threatening or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated
- Report any incident, accident, potential hazard or dangerous driving to the site management and / or security team
Moving around the market
- The maximum speed limit is 15mph
- Be aware that vehicles, including HGV’s and Fork Lift Trucks operate throughout the market
- Drivers must use the designated roadways
- Pedestrians must use the designated walkways. Do not walk along the roadways
- For your safety, we recommend that visitors wear hi-visibility jackets, vests or similar
In the event of an emergency, the fire alarm will sound. You should then:
- Immediately make your way to the nearest exit (at the front or back of the market)
- If you are in a vehicle you should leave this on site
- Follow the instructions of site management and security
- To report emergencies telephone 0161 223 9851
If you have any questions about health and safety on the market, please contact us on 0161 234 5710
On the market
From Monday to Saturday, visitor parking at New Smithfield Market is free of charge. HGV’s and other commercial vehicles may be charged a fee for long stay parking. Whilst parking at our market you should note that:
- Vehicles must only park in the designated car park areas and within the marked parking bays
- You must not park on any double yellow lines, hatched areas, pedestrian walkways and crossings
- All emergency access / egress points (Blue Route) must be kept clear at all times
There are several cafes on site providing a variety of food and drink.
To ensure the safety and security of our visitors, businesses, staff and market, we have 24/7 monitored CCTV (governed by the CCTV Code of Practice), ANPR controlled site access and 24/7 on site security, which includes regular site patrols and vehicle checks.
Filming and photography
If you would like to film or take pictures on our market, please email: email@example.com or call 0161 234 1010
Waste and recycling
New Smithfield Market generates c.6000 tonnes of waste per year, and we currently recycle 86% of this, working in conjunction with FareShare, a national charity based at the market.
We have been awarded the Environmental Business Pledge Silver award in recognition of the work undertaken to reduce the market's environmental footprint.