Manchester City Council

Website unavailable

Due to essential maintenance our website will be offline from 10pm tonight until 4am on Friday 20 October

See how to get in touch in an emergency.


Environmental problems Odour pollution

Gas or petrol

Gas odours, or any suspected gas leak must be reported immediately to National Grid UK on 0800 111 999. Their advice is:

  • if possible turn off the gas supply at the main gas meter;
  • open doors and windows if the smell is strong inside the house;
  • do not switch anything electrical on or off, including the lights, as this could trigger an explosion; and
  • do not smoke, strike matches or light candles.

If you can smell petrol, or suspect a petrol leak locally, or suspect someone has poured petrol into a drain, contact the Fire and Rescue Service immediately on 999. 


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?