Businesses, people and infrastructure
The birthplace of the industrial revolution and now the economic powerhouse of the north of
A world-class city which offers people a great place to live, work, visit and, critically, a fantastic environment for business.
Manchester boasts a sophisticated knowledge, tourist, transport, and business infrastructure. We have an incredible talent pool of people including a vast number studying at our top rated universities. The city's international airport and transport infrastructure compete on a global level and we offer a diverse and high quality portfolio of business properties.
Our economy is diverse, knowledge-led and based around growth areas such as digital and creative, financial and business services, biotechnology, advanced manufacturing, environmental technologies, tourism and global sports brands.
Thousands of foreign owned companies and almost half of the Northwest's Top 500 businesses are based in
Key drivers for this growth are undoubtedly the strength of a dynamic private sector and the fact that
- Start of the Manchester Enterprise Zone offering incentives for business locating in and around Manchester Airport (2012)
- Nominated host city of the National Graphene Institute (2012)
- Businesses in Manchester have the ninth-lowest tax cost of any industrialised city in the world (2012)
- Crowned the world's 'Best Sports City' in the less than one million population and ranked fifth in the overall global ranking (2012)
- Held 26 international conferences approved by the International Congress and Convention Association (2011)
- Ranked as Europe's top city for business competitiveness and rated fourth in the world (2010).
- Voted joint second as the most popular target for inward investment in Europe (2010)
- Voted the UK's best major airport in the over 6 million passengers category, in part for introducing new routes (2012)
- Voted best UK city outside of London for availability of retailing and leisure amenities and a lively city environment (2009).
- Third most visited UK city by foreign visitors.
Find out how we can help you: