The Eastside Regeneration Initiative covers the Miles Platting, Ancoats and Northern Quarter areas of Manchester. Eastside was awarded £5.7 million of Single Regeneration Budget (SRB) money from the Government for a six-year regeneration scheme ending in March 2002. The main aim of the Scheme has been to bring about the improvement of economic and social conditions and encourage the physical regeneration of the area, which is placed 41st out of some 8000+ wards in the country on the Indices of Multiple Deprivation. The Scheme is expected to draw in investment from the private sector of approximately £34 million and from other public sector sources £19 million over the life of the Scheme.
Over the last five years the Scheme has supported a range of initiatives that have increased the capacity of local people and businesses to take advantage of opportunities resulting from ongoing and proposed developments in the area (for example, Sportcity and the Commonwealth Games) and from the growth recently experienced in the City Centre and particularly in the Northern Quarter.
SRB funds have been used to:
- Support education and training projects
- Enhance employment opportunities
- Facilitate return to work by providing childcare opportunities and out of school facilities for children
- Improve the appearance and safety of the local environment, supported by the creation of a community caretaker scheme through the Intermediate labour market
- Provide support for new and existing businesses
- Support the creation of a new community network for Miles Platting and Ancoats
- Provide new and improved services and facilities for children and young people.
During this final year of the SRB scheme (2001/02) New East Manchester commissioned an area regeneration study that will create the framework for the physical regeneration of the area. The framework will guide a substantial future investment in housing and community facilities in Miles Platting. This is in addition to the Millennium Communities programme of housing, social and environmental improvements and developments in the old Cardroom estate area. The Ancoats Urban Village Company will continue to promote mixed use developments in the Ancoats Urban Village.
New East Manchester
Ancoats and Miles Platting Office
51 Bengal Street
Telephone: 0161 950 4300
Fax: 0161 238 4809