The ninth Manchester Sports Awards was held on 28 October 2017 at the Hilton Hotel on Deansgate. 400 guests celebrated the achievements of our residents, volunteers, sports men and women, clubs and other sporting groups. The event, hosted by former athletes Iwan Thomas MBE and Jenny Meadows, proved as popular as ever with over 120 nominations, and the Peoples Champion Awards, featured in the Manchester Evening News, had over 6,000 votes.
Congratulations to our winners:
- Achievement in Disability Sport: 1st - Lancashire Lions - Goal Ball Team; 2nd - Daniel Adelman - Disability Football - FC United of Manchester; 3rd - Rosie Macauley - Wheelchair Racing
- Achievement in Sport: 1st - Jona Efoloko - Athletics; 2nd - Julianne Courtice - Squash
- Club of the Year: 1st - Wythenshawe Community Rugby FC; 2nd - Debdale Outdoor Activity Club; 3rd - City of Manchester Institute of Gymnastics
- Changing Lifestyles Recognition: 1st -Stephen Hogan - ABL Health Choose to Change; 2nd -Sandra Checkley - Manchester Community Walking Football Club; 3rd - Yvonne Hung - Didsbury Runners
- Community Coach of the Year: 1st - Catherine Pollit - Wythenshawe Swim Club; 2nd - Sam Simpson - Wythenshawe Community Rugby Club; 3rd - Lorraine Platt - Run Leader, North Manchester Fitness
- Contribution to Sport & Physical Activity in Education: 1st - Crosslee Primary School; 2nd - Claremont Primary School; 3rd - Our Lady's RC High School
- Contribution to Sport in Manchester: University of Manchester
- Event of the Year: Simply Health Great Manchester Run & Great City Games
- Our Manchester Award: Withington Baths and Broadway Community Group
- Peoples Champion - Manchester Evening News readers poll: 1st - Hilary Moran - Northenden Community School; 2nd - Martin Wright - School Games Organiser; 3rd - Brian Melling - Arcadia Leisure Centre; 4th - Gaynor Anderson - Skating Edge Academy; 5th - Paul Flint - City of Manchester Aquatics Swim Team
- Junior Achievement in Sport: 1st - Jamall Walters - Athletics; 2nd - Trezeguet Taylor - Athletics
- Young Volunteer of the Year: 1st - Hamdun Abubakr - Moss Side Fire Station Boxing Club; 2nd - Alex Hirst - Cheetham Hill Squash Club; 3rd - Matthew Gaunt - Wythenshawe Black Belt Academy (Martial Arts)
- Youth & Community Sports Project: 1st - Youth & Community Sports Project - Abraham Moss Warriors; 2nd - Young Leaders Programme - East Manchester; 3rd - Manchester Community Games
It was a fantastic night for all involved and we look forward to planning the tenth centenary event in 2018.
To help us improve the event, please complete our short survey and you'll be entered into our prize draw.