Taxi passenger information
We are responsible for licensing hackney carriage (black cabs) and private hire vehicles and their drivers in Manchester and are committed to providing a professional, safe and high-quality transport service.
You should always plan to get home safe and take a taxi you can trust.
- make sure that you only ever get into a licensed vehicle and know the difference between a Hackney Carriage and a private hire vehicle;
- check that you are paying the right fare;
- pre-book your taxi where possible, especially when travelling alone;
- know where the taxi ranks are in the city centre;
- ask if the pub, club or restaurant you are in can book a taxi and will let you wait inside until it arrives;
Both hackney carriage and private hire drivers are issued with an id badge showing their photograph and licence details. This badge must be visible and can be worn or displayed in the vehicle.
For a current list of licensed private hire operators, view the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Register.
If you are looking for lost property, cab drivers hand property found in their vehicles to us.