Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away on 18 February.

Read our tribute.


Homes & property Preventing homelessness

The Homelessness service is an emergency service. We have a duty to help only those people who meet strict criteria. We'll always try to help you to avoid becoming homeless in the first place.

There are lots of different services to help you stay in your current home, including help if you're experiencing domestic abuse.

If this isn't possible, the next option is to look for a new home if the one you're in isn't suitable. You may have more options than you think.

You can also search Help and Support Manchester, our online database of organisations and services for more information relating to housing problems and homelessness.

Still threatened by homelessness?

If you have looked at these options and still believe you could become homeless, you may be entitled to our help.

We can only usually help you if you have a 'connection to Manchester'. You have this connection if you have:

  • lived in the area covered by Manchester City Council for at least six of the last 12 months, or
  • you have lived in Manchester for at least three of the last five years, or
  • you have a parent, brother or sister who has lived in Manchester for at least five years or
  • you work in Manchester.

If you do not have a connection to Manchester, we may be able to refer your application to another authority.

Contact Us

During office hours (9am - 4.30pm) you can contact us in the following ways:


Telephone: 0161 234 4692

Fax: 0161 274 7066

In person at our:

Customer Service Centre
Town Hall Extension
Mount Street
M2 5DB (postcode for satnav)

Please make sure you have tried all the options listed above before visiting in person.

Out of Hours (4:30pm - 9:00am)


Telephone: 0161 234 5001

Fax: 0161 255 8266


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?