Naturalisation papers are held by the National Archives. We hold a cash book for the Manchester Naturalisation Society 1896 to 1909 (ref Archives GB127.M150). An index to the cash book is available on findmypast. This gives the name of person, amount paid to fund, and date of payment.
The society raised funds for the certificates by asking members to pay fees of 1s per week. Once sufficient funds had been accumulated a ballot was held and the winners were put forward to receive their naturalisation papers.
Manchester Great Synagogue (Before 1926 Manchester Hebrew Congregation)
We hold some membership records for this synagogue. These include:
- Counterfoils of Marriage Certificates 1854 to 1911 (GB127.M139/7/2/1-2)
- Certificates of Registry of Death 1855 to 1958 with gaps (GB127.M139/7/7)
- Wardens Books - gives English and Hebrew names of members and seat holders, 1895 to 1921 (GB127.M139/7/8/1-2)
- Registers of Members and Seat Rentals 1924 to 1926 - gives seat number, names and sometimes the address (GB127.M139/7/10/1-3)
- Registers of Members and Seat Rentals 1933 to 1952 - gives seat number, name, address and amounts paid (GB127.M139/7/11/1-2)
All resources marked with a reference number (starting with GB) can be accessed using our search room, you will need to note the reference number and make an appointment.