Manchester City Council

The Council & democracy Why you have recently received a form from us

Household Enquiry Form

Please Note: Electoral Registration Inspectors are currently visiting properties across Manchester to assist those residents who have not yet returned their Household Enquiry Form or Invitation to Register Forms. If you have received an Urgent Reminder calling card then this means that you have missed one of our inspectors. You can only respond to the Household Enquiry Form by Internet, Phone or SMS text if you have the security codes which were included on the HEF, if you cannot locate these security codes please call us on 0161 234 1212. Alternatively if you are still required to complete an Invitation to Register form, then you can do so at

Every household in the city has been sent a Household Enquiry Form (HEF) called 'Who is Eligible to Vote'.  We use this to check our records and to ensure that anyone eligible to vote is registered to vote. From the information we receive back from the HEF, we send any person who isn't currently registered to vote an invitation to register form.  By law you must respond to this HEF form and provide the information requested; if you don't you could be fined £1000.

Although you may have recently voted in the recent UK Parliamentary Elections and Greater Manchester Combined Authorities Mayoral Election, you are still required to respond to this form.

You can provide this information online or use the telephone or text services instead of posting the paper form to us. 

You must have your security codes to hand to use these services.  Your security codes can be found on either the front page or in the top right of page 2 of your Household Enquiry form.

What you need to do

No Changes:  If all the information on the Household Enquiry form is correct please confirm this at:

  • or
  • by phone 0800 197 9871 or
  • text NOCHANGE  followed by your security codes to 80212.  (If nobody is eligible to vote include a reason after your security code e.g. empty, business, 2nd home, none, other).

Changes:  If you need to make any changes you can do this at:

If you do not have your form to hand,  have lost it or have any further questions please contact us on 0161 234 1212.

Adding a name to a HEF form does not register that individual on the electoral register, they must also either register to vote online or complete an Invitation to Register form, please find below further information about this stage of the process.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?