Indexes to Church Records
- Most Anglican parish registers of the Diocese of Manchester (including Manchester Cathedral) are now available online at Ancestry.co.uk. This includes digitised original registers and a name index of baptisms (1500s-1915), marriages (1500s-1930) and burials (1500s-1985). Free access to Ancestry.co.uk is available from any Manchester City Council library. Our A-Z Church Register List tells you which church records we hold.
- Family Search is an index of baptisms and marriages from (mainly) Church of England registers. Whilst far from complete it can make a very good starting point. A list of what parishes are covered by Family Search can be found on the rootsweb web site. The microfiche version for the British Isles is available at Manchester Central Library.
- The Lancashire Online Parish Clerks project site aims to extract and preserve the records from the various parishes and to provide online access to that data, free of charge. Transcripts of various parish registers are available on this web site.
- The Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society have started to create an index to persons named in the Manchester Roman Catholic registers. This index is available on their web site.
- BMDRegisters is a searchable on-line service of early non-conformist birth, marriage and death registers held at the National Archives.
- An index of burials at Manchester Cathedral 1573-1868 published by the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society is available on Findmypast.