Copies, print outs and reproduction
Copies, print outs
Costs for copies and print outs are listed on our fines and charges page.
Some items are too fragile to be copied. You're welcome to use your own camera to photograph items in the search room - there is a charge for this of £6 for up to half a day.
If you're getting married you may need a certified copy of your baptism certificate. We can issue a copy if we hold the church register that includes your baptism entry.
We can supply digital images of some archives by email or CD. The cost is £10 per image including VAT. You can pay for up to three images online.
- High quality 10x8" prints for framing from our Local image collection can be bought online. The cost is for £10 plus postage.
- Prints from panoramic school negatives produced by Panora Ltd from 1968 to 1985 can be purchased for £70. Email email@example.com with your request.
Archives and local history talks
We can provide the talks for local groups either at Central Library or an external venue. The cost is £120 for a 45 minute talk. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Choose from:
- Introduction to Archives and Local History at Manchester Central Library
- Beginning your Family History
Permission to reproduce or exhibit material must be sought from Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives. The following charges apply.
- Publications (books, exhibitions, advertising, web): £120 per image
- Broadcasting (ten year unlimited transmission): £600 per image
- Internal Commercial Decoration: £300 per image
There is a minimum charge of £120.
VAT will be added to all reproduction charges. Fees are per image. In some circumstances these fees are negotiable. Discounts will be offered to community groups, charities and for bulk orders. Discounts of 20 per cent will be offered for orders of five images or more.
For supply of high resolution images on CD or by email there is a charge of £10 per image.
Terms and conditions
Customers must agree to the following conditions:
- Permission to reproduce or exhibit, and the charges payable, covers only the specific occasion requested. All reprints, further editions or reuse of the material in another project require further application, and are not covered by the original payment.
- For many works the copyright position is not known. In cases where the copyright owner is known, the library and archive staff will inform applicants, who will have to contact the copyright holders themselves. We will not accept responsibility for any infringements of copyright.
- Material supplied may not be passed on to a third party under any circumstances.
- We do not grant exclusive rights.
- We can not allow use of images on third party web sites where copyright or any other rights in the image is passed to the third party (e.g. Facebook, Ancestry)
All items must be properly acknowledged:
- Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives - Courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council
- Greater Manchester County Record Office - Courtesy of Greater Manchester County Record Office
For web use the acknowledgement must also include a link back to our web site www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries or for the Local images collection www.images.manchester.gov.uk.
Failure to acknowledge as above will result in a 100 per cent increase in the reproduction charge or where a reproduction charge has been waivered a standard reproduction fee will be charged.