Manchester City Council

Telephone problems

There are issues with some mobile networks reaching our contact centre, we are working with the networks to fix this. If you are affected, please retry. There are no issues with land lines.


Libraries Court, prison and police records

Which Court?

The best place to start, if you do not know which court the case appeared at, is the Criminal Registers for England and Wales 1791-1892 held at National Archives (HO 27). The registers will tell you whether the case was held at the Assizes or Quarter Sessions. However they do not include Magistrates Courts / Petty Sessions.

The Criminal Registers have been digitised and are available on (subscription web site). Free access to is available at any City of Manchester library.

Another option is to try the digital archive of the Manchester Guardian to see if the case was reported. Free access to this is available for library members in our 24 Hour Library.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?