Langho Colony / Centre
The Langho Colony was founded by the Joint Asylum Committee of the Chorlton and Manchester Board of Guardians in the Ribble Valley in 1906 as a hospital for epileptics. In 1929 its control passed to Manchester City Council. It closed in 1984.
The Greater Manchester County Record Office hold the records of the Langho Colony (ref: Archives GB127.M484). These includes admission and discharge books, Nov 1906-Sep 1940 (lacks 1917-1921); religious creed register, 1906-c.1974; registers of deaths, 1907-1984; and a burial register, 1907-17 Jun 1929. Records less than one hundred years old which contain personal information are on restricted access.
For a history of the colony see Jean Barclay, Langho Colony/Langho Centre. 1906-1984: A Contextual Study of Manchester's Public Institution for people with Epilepsy which is held in the Manchester Room@City Library (q 362.196853Ba(850)).