The 1996 Manchester Bomb and the City's RegenerationThe following sources will be available at Manchester Central Library from Spring 2014:
Books and Articles
- Euan Kellie, Rebuilding Manchester (2010) L711.4KEL R711.4KEL(863). This substantial work, containing over 400 illustrations, looks at the story of the city's regeneration since 1996 and how this has helped reverse the city's economic decline.
- Ray King, Detonation: rebirth of a city (2006) L942.733Kin R942.733085Kin(100). Looks at events on the day of the bomb, the police investigation and the politics of the subsequent regeneration.
- Jamie Peck and Kevin Ward (ed.), City of revolution: restructuring Manchester (2002) L338.094273Pe R338.094273Pe(880). Chapter 8 covers the bomb and the opportunities it presented. Other chapters look at how Manchester has undergone recent urban transformation.
- Sarah Lester and Steve Panter (ed.), The Manchester bomb: from devastation to regeneration (2006) Lq942.733Man Rq942.733Man(273). Covers the bomb itself, including eyewitness accounts, the story of the arrest of the journalist who published details of the police investigation and the subsequent regeneration.
- Manchester Evening News, Fight back: re-birth of the city, one year after the bomb (1997) 44page supplement Rf942.733085Ma(844). Looks back at the day of the bomb, including personal stories, and details the early plans for regeneration.
- John Myles and Ian Taylor, After the bomb: public consultation in the rebuilding of Manchester Salford Papers in Sociology 24 (c2000) R711.55209Myl(266). Focuses on the consultation that took place regarding the redevelopment of the city.
- Gwyndaf Williams, The enterprising city centre: Manchester's development challenge (2003) 307.1216Wil R307.1216Wil(628). This academic work uses Manchester City Centre and its regeneration after the bomb as a case study for urban regeneration and transformation.
- Workers Educational Association, After the Manchester bombing Rf942.733085Wo(053) (1997). Personal experiences and comments, chronology of events.
Three volumes of newspaper clippings on the bomb and its after effects.
- Andrew Taylor, Map of City Centre showing individual buildings. Colour. Scale 1:3500:
- before the bomb 1st ed. 1996
- after the bomb 2nd ed. May 1998, 3rd ed. 2001, 4th ed. 2002, 5th ed. 2005, 6th edition 2008
- Manchester Cityscape. 3rd ed. 1996 - before the bomb
- Ordnance Survey maps - sheets SJ8397NE and SJ8397SE. Scale 1:1250:
- before the bomb1988/1990
- after the bomb 1999
The local image collection has some pictures of the affected areas as they were before the bomb (use detailed search and * to specify a decade eg 198* for the 1980s). It also includes some images of the aftermath of the bomb and a selection of aerial views taken in 2006.
The Rebuilding Manchester website was devoted to the regeneration of the city centre following the devastation of the IRA bomb of 15 June 1996.