There has been a Welsh community in Manchester since the 16th century. The following is a good introduction:
- Ionawryn Williams, 'Byr Hanes Cymry Manceinion' (1896), 942.733004 WIL (972). We also hold a translation of this book by Margaret Hughes, q942.733004 WIL (975).
- 'Manchester Welsh Presbytery, Past and Present' by Anne Hunt and Lilian Bury (2002), 262.98524 HUN (606)
- Some notes on the Welsh in Manchester in the 16th century Manchester City News, f 942.7 M10, 1900-1902, p.110).
- Local Studies Newspaper Cuttings Collection (Foreign Communities and Relations 2 Box 541)
The Greater Manchester County Record Office (with Manchester Archives holds a transcript by William Owen of the Life Story of Robert Roberts of Mynydd y Gof, Bodedern, Anglesey (1905). Volumes 4-8 deals with his life in Manchester from the mid 19th century (ref: GB127.M803). We hold a photocopy of an article by Margaret Hughes from "Country Quest" on William Owen, Manchester Welsh author (Sep 2008), q891.66328 OWE (967).
We also hold the following church records. Other church records are held by the National Library of Wales. They also hold the records of the Manchester National Welsh Society.
- Moss Side Welsh Calvinistic Church: Jubilee publication regarding the Moss Side Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church 1875-1925 (1925), 285.235 WEL (029), with an English translation by Margaret Hughes, q285.235 WEL (030). Annual report of the Moss Side Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church, 1954, 1957, 1959-1965, 285.235 WEL (032). Available at the Manchester Room@City Library.
- Chorlton on Medlock, St. David's Welsh Church (Anglican): Baptisms 1889-1954, on microfilm at the Manchester Room@City Library (MFPR 1310).
- Collyhurst Wesleyan Chapel, later Welsh Wesleyans, Teignmouth St., Collyhurst: Deeds 1817-1905 (ref: Greater Manchester County Record Office GB127.M229/4/1)
- Pendleton, St David's Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Church, Langworthy Road: Marriages 1913-1960 (ref: Greater Manchester County Record Office GB127.M275/820)