Top tips to help you save!
Make your home easier and cheaper to heat - and help prevent climate change too.
- Turn your heating down by just one degree; it can reduce your fuel bill by 10%;
- Fit a hot water cylinder jacket on your tank, and insulate all hot water pipes;
- Get an energy-efficient boiler - it can save £180 a year;
- Insulate your home - your loft should have at least 250mm (10 inches) of insulation to stop heat escaping;
- Use a draught-proofing seal on doors and windows;
- Use low energy bulbs - they're cheaper to run and last much longer;
- Draw the curtains when it goes dark to keep in the warmth;
- Look out for the energy-saving logo when you shop for new appliances like a washing machine or fridge;
- Take a shower instead of a bath - it uses just a third of the water;
- Don't leave your TV and other electric appliances on stand-by, switch them off;
- Making a brew? Only boil the amount of water you need - cuppas taste better when they're made with fresh water;
- Switch off the lights in rooms you're not using;
- Save in the kitchen; put lids on saucepans and use just enough water to cover the food; use a microwave to cook small meals; defrost your freezer regularly, so it doesn't have to work so hard.
Find our more...