Top tips to help you save
Make your home easier and cheaper to heat, and help prevent climate change too.
- turn your heating down by just one degree; it can reduce your fuel bill by 10%
- fit a hot water cylinder jacket on your tank, and insulate all hot water pipes
- get an energy-efficient boiler - it can save £180 a year,
- insulate your home - your loft should have at least 250mm (10 inches) of insulation to stop heat escaping
- use a draught-proofing seal on doors and windows
- use low energy bulbs - they're cheaper to run and last much longer
- draw the curtains when it goes dark to keep in the warmth
- look out for the energy-saving logo when you shop for new appliances like a washing machine or fridge
- take a shower instead of a bath - it uses just a third of the water
- don't leave your TV and other electric appliances on stand-by, switch them off
- making a brew? Only boil the amount of water you need - cuppas taste better when they're made with fresh water
- switch off the lights in rooms you're not using
- save in the kitchen; put lids on saucepans and use just enough water to cover the food; use a microwave to cook small meals; defrost your freezer regularly, so it doesn't have to work so hard.