Manchester City Council

Homes & property High fuel bills? Get help

How to cope with high fuel bills

If you're finding it hard to cope with rising costs of gas and electricity - do something about it now. Don't let bills mount up. You can:

1. Contact Manchester Citizens Advice Bureau on 0161 672 1234 or email:,  the team will be able to help you with energy efficiency advice, switching tariffs and assisting with trust fund applications to help reduce your fuel bills.

2. Contact the Home heat helpline - a free, expert service for vulnerable people on 0800 336699. They can speak to your fuel supplier for you, and find out if you can get any extra financial help.

3. Contact your power supplier for advice and to see if they have special tariffs for low income customers:

  • British Gas - Fixed Price Tariff: 0800 320 200;
  • EDF - Energy Assist: 0800 328 9010;
  • EON - Age Concern Tariff (over 60's only): 0800 015 6784;
  • Npower - First Steps: 0808 172 6999;
  • Scottish & Southern, Southern Electric, Atlantic - Energyplus Care: 0800 622 838; or
  • Scottish Power - Carefree Plus Tariff: 08452 700 700.

4. Apply for a grant or loan to get energy-saving measures in your home.

5. Check if you can save money by switching to a new supplier. Contact a free 'fuel comparison service' for advice. Or your current supplier may have a cheaper tariff than the one you're on now. You need old bills to make a comparison. You can do it by phone or fill out an online form. See for an example.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?